Monday, December 2, 2013

Life on the farm

Sometimes I wish my life on the farm was like they portray farm life in the movies.  Everything is wonderful, the crops come up every year without fail, chickens lay tons of eggs, cows (or goats in my case) give gallons and gallons of milk and life is good!!

BUT reality is that you have a hawk that decides to attack your chicken pen the first thing Saturday morning. And God Bless your rooster for protecting his flock!!  I shot my gun a couple of times to scare the hawk away.  The rooster survived - but has battle wounds to show for his efforts.  And, for some reason, I have a chicken or a couple of chickens that have taken to killing all the baby chickens that I bought back in August - that's about $125 down the drain.  Almost every morning or two, I find bodies.  So disheartening.  And to add insult to injury, they aren't laying eggs.

Last night I went out to feed the goats and noticed one of the younger goats had some type of "discharge" on her rear end.  Upon closer examination, it was blood.  Yep, looks like she had a miscarriage.  I really didn't want her bred but the buck figured out how to jump fences and he breeds whoever gets in his way.

So today I want to go to one of those storybook farms!!  LOL!!  I am just fustrated and I know it will get better. Sometimes life on the farm isn't always that much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment